Pages

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Skittishness and Contemplating Colors...


First, my sewing room is super chaotic. I finally organized and split my fabric (putting away light fabrics, bringing out dark/heavy fabrics) and fondling fabric will almost guarantee a sort of frenzied desire to SEW ALL THE THINGS!

I have the Burda cropped jacket assembled. It needs to be under-stitched and then I'm going to attach the lining to the hem by hand.

I also bought, assembled and traced off this Lekala skirt (4295)


I was sure I would have to do a muslin just for assembly but once I got it traced and started folding the lines, it actually comes together quite easily.


This long pleat? Well, it's a pleat on the photo and tech drawing and yet they call it a dart in the directions. It's totally being treated as a pleat!!!

I wanted to work on the jacket more! I wanted to start cutting out this skirt!! I wanted to trace another Burda!!!

But there was a pile on the floor of my (small) sewing room preventing movement and it needed to be handled.

OY!
All of these patterns (there were 9 by the way) are now put away where they belong.

Hopefully my brain will relax and I can resume some sort of order to my sewing!

********************

Do you recall my whining saga about losing all of my sweaters?? And finding them ~14 months later?? Sigh.

Today I brought them up because it is cold in Minneapolis y'all! We have lows below freezing predicted for the next 7 days.

There was one I'd forgotten about. I held it up and then snuggled it because of the color. It's close to this Pantene color, Shaded Spruce.

And then I remembered how much the Fall 2017 palette was right up my alley:


And earlier today, Rhonda's blog post was about the color red. So between her post and my lovely teal-y green sweater, I started thinking about "my" colors.

Now, for as long as I can remember (LONG before I started sewing!), I would encounter these conversations about colors and seasons and all that jazz and be utterly confused.

I finally figured out the confusion -- those "tests" were not for brown ladies! There was always ONE "dark". And it's supposed to cover all of us women of color. Like, really? The cool browns, warm browns, the olive-skinned...we're all just..."dark". And that's it.  So I've always just gone off of my reaction to a color when I encounter it and how I feel when it's on my body.

Hopefully by now the questionnaires have expanded a bit more ;)

Back to the Fall '17 Pantene report...

The grenadine I'd wear on my lower half. I love red pants and skirts! I do not own any red tops. I made this Vogue 8979 top two years ago. I really like this pattern! But, I've never worn it. Every time I pull it out it feels "too"...too bright, too much, too, too, too.

But pants?!? YASSSSS! I've always owned red pants!


Golden Lime is just a no, please. And Marina is too soft. I just put a cut of bamboo knit that color in the donate pile. I'll never sew it. I couldn't even get myself to make a pair of pajamas from it.

Tawny Port? Yes.

I always say I don't wear purple. I DO! I just wear this shade of purple and not "royal" purples. Again, it's just too, too for me.

Butterum and Autumn Maple? Check and Check.

The Ballet Slipper is also too soft. I remember when the spring 2017 colors came out and this Pale Dogwood was included:


THAT is MY pink! 

Someone commented that "virtually no one" would look good in that color. Uhmm, this toasty brown girl does!! I am very drawn to this color and it pairs well with SO many other colors!

That Navy and Grey are my neutrals. I adore both. I never tire of navy or grey - this lighter shade and especially charcoal! You'll see a few of these manifesting in my fall sewing. 

The Spring 2018 report has come out
Yes, No, No, YES
No, Yes, YES!, Yes!!



Swoon...yes, Yes, YES and YES!
Sign me up! Err, no thank you!, Ehhhh, maybe??, and Sure...
(I don't dislike white...but it isn't one of my go-to neutrals)

So, what's your color story? What do you think of the current palette? What are your thoughts about Spring 2018?